The hardest part of going vegan for me so far has been the recipes. An “easy” vegan recipe seems like an advanced “regular” recipe. I’ve been working tirelessly restocking my cabinets with vegan options, and trashing the old – but every recipe I seem to come by involves whipping out your $700 Vitamix, using some crazy new flour, adding in expensive cashews, and 27 other ingredients I may or may not have.
I’m a vegan with a serious budget who’s lacking cooking skills – recipes over 6 ingredients can pretty much scare me back to carnivore-ism. So I spend LOTS of time looking for recipes that wont break the bank or my drive to keep this going.
Our garden gave us SO MUCH summer squash this year – it’s heavenly and… overwhelming. I’ve frozen a bunch of it, but I think I have enough saved to get me through the winter PLUS new ones are still popping up everyday. A friend of mine, who also happens to be an expert vegan, used some of it to make a super creamy and delicious soup – and was kind enough to share with me. MUST REPLICATE.
With some help from her and other vegan blogs on the good ol’ interweb – I came up with a plan, involving only things I already had at home – to make this decadent beauty.
Here is my massive amount of summer squash in a pot, ready for a quick saute!
Do a quick blend of your summer squash, garlic, veggie broth mix and add back to your pot!
That’s really it – the whole thing took about 25 minutes, and even my meat eating boyfriend said was delicious! I’d love to see your takes on this if you make it! ❤
Coconut, Curry, Summer Squash Soup
A creamy summer soup with just a tiny kick.
- 2 medium to large summer squash
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbs curry power
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 1-2 tbs sea salt to taste
- 1-2 tbs black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbs re pepper flakes
- Basil to garnish
- Will need a food processor/blender
- In a large pot, saute your garlic and sliced up summer squash – just until a little soft. Roughly 3-5 minutes.
- Into the same pot add in your 3 cups vegetable broth, and spices to taste – bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every so often.
- After 15 minutes, in batches put the garlic/summer squash/broth mix into your food processor – blend until creamy. I stopped mine a little early to give the soup a little texture.
- Add your puree back to your pot, and add in 1 can of coconut milk. Bring back to a boil – then once it’s boiling remove from heat and let it set for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil and black pepper!